Friday, January 24, 2014

whats the deal with glow sticks?

Glow sticks?
Lame.
Whats the point? said my father, who is also a music junkie, however a novice to this new school concert going crowd and their glow sticks.  He's been to Woodstock.  He's old school.  I've heard some cool things, but he doesn't like to brag.  Once in a while he will slip and tell me some wild, "that can't be true" type-a story.  Like, being at the famous Doors show in New Haven where Jim got arrested for exposing himself (which my dad adamantly says Jim never did that!).  Or about the time he saw Albert king at a tiny venue in Westport and Albert called him up on stage to play harp, a story I had never heard till recently.

That being said, I have been to many, many concerts with my dad.  He's taught me mostly everything I know about music.  "There's so much music out there we will never hear it all" is something he says often.  Dad has always guided me to explore it with an open mind. Except for rap, my dad strongly dislikes rap.

I remember cruising around in the 1978 Nova we had; listening to Super Sessions with Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper and Stephen Stills when I was 7.  I'm lucky, I have an old school "guide".  If I ever want to hear something I've never heard, I go to him.  Now as I get older and go to shows without my dad and with Chris, I've learned there's a whole other aspect to a concert going experience.

The visuals.

I've heard there were some pretty sweet psychedelic light shows back in the 60's and 70's.  Nowadays, it's a whole other ball game. There are not only high tech HD projectors, there are LED lights glimmering all around, and the ever so handy glow stick! It's a lot to take in, kind of like Vegas I'd imagine, a sensory overload.  But once you take a deep breath and soak it all in, it's all smiles from there on out!

Glow sticks are little light up fluorescent neon tubes of plastic you can make into bracelets, necklaces, rings, earrings, glow stick chains.  It's more fun than killing daisys for a daisy chain and ...it GLOWS In the dark!!!! You name it, it can be made out of glow sticks.  They are even handy for lighting up dark bathroom stalls/gross port-a-potties. They light up your tent or your way back to your seat from getting a beer. (If you attach them to your shoes). They are fun and practical.

Have you ever been to a phish show?  Glow sticks are a hot commodity there. A serious business. Some phans even stock pile thousands and keep them hidden until a big jam explodes...when the jam drops, glow sticks every where! Glow stick rain. It's like a perfectly planned out choreographed glow stick blow out. It's fun to watch.

LED lights are becoming really popular at shows now. Which is great because they
last so much longer than six hours, there is no plastic waste, and they stay bright.

My dad still doesn't understand.  Perhaps he never will, it's something us new schoolers will only understand.  It's pretty neat how things have changed since the good ole' lighter.

***disclaimer: glow sticks are ONLY, I repeat ONLY fun if you pick them up
afterwards!! Clean up ALL litter peeps! It's easy! And fun!***


Bonnaroo 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment